Our little princess is getting so big!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Watch Calvin Grow!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hey, what about your other kid?

So with all this talk about Baby Calvin, I have suddenly realized I haven't told you much about our first-born--you know, that other kid we have: Chloe.

So what's Chloe been up to? Oh my, well let's see if I can give you an abbreviated version:

School: Chloe continues to go to "school," which is the Parents Morning Out program at our local YMCA. It was a little touch-and-go in the beginning, especially for me, since I am a teacher and have a tendency to be overly critical in terms of how child-care workers interact with their students. After a few phone calls to the director regarding lunches not wholly eaten and crafts not completed, they figured out (I'm sure) that I'm just a neurotic, over-protective, very pregnant mama and should be handled as such. Chloe started coming home with an empty lunch box and a completed craft (made by her teacher, I'm sure, but still, it's the principle of it all...). She really seems to enjoy it, especially after I drop her off and (they promise) she stops crying. Some mornings are easier than others, but we still have tears every time. And it's been 10 weeks. Oy.
But what I have noticed, on a positive note, is how much more Chloe interacts with other random kids she meets out at the playground, sees at Chick-Fil-A in the playhouse, or even at playgroup. She has started to mimic some of their behaviors, like trying to climb on the playground equipment (which she has never done--she just isn't much of a climber) and she is certainly less timid about trying things on her own. It makes me proud to see her do things w/out us needing to be right there with her. I attribute much of her new-found independence, friendliness, and confidence to "school."

Size: You can tell from her pics she's a bit bigger than average, right? Ummm, yeah, she's got some height on her. Right now, she is wearing what's left of her 2T summer clothes, and for Fall I've started buying 3T stuff. Her shoe size is a 7, and I've bought 8's (one pair which she can wear right now) for the cooler weather. I have a sneaking suspicion we'll be buying more shoes by Christmas. I am not sure just how tall she is or how much she weighs, but at her 18m check-up, she was 33.5 inches tall, so just add another four months of growth to that, and I'm guessing right around 35-36in. As for her weight, she's definitely still heavy, but she's really started to thin out, so she's probably right around 30lbs. We'll find out at her 2yr well-check in November!

Speech: Just call her motormouth. She never stops talking, at home or in the car anyways. Her teacher tells me she has finally started to talk at school, so that's a plus. But around here, it's constant. You may not always know exactly what she's saying, especially when she's playing by herself, but she's like a parrot--she'll repeat back anything you say. I love it. :)

A few of her favorite things: The one thing I can say about Chloe is that she definitely knows what she likes and what she doesn't like. Everything she does is done with a sense of purpose. Whether she's reading a book, or opening a cabinet to get a snack, she knows what she wants. And she loves, loves, LOVES those Fisher Price Little People. It started with an airplane and some "people" last year, and has grown into oodles and oodles of people and houses and barns and cars and..... She takes them everywhere and talks to them constantly. I love it. Chloe is also still very big into Elmo and really any of the Sesame Street characters. It's one of the few shows we do let her watch (how can you not watch Sesame Street?!) and she also LOVES Curious George, or "monkey" as she likes to call him. As for food, she'll still eat just about anything you put in front of her, unless it's meat--she just doesn't care for the texture, so I try to hide in her mashed potatoes, etc. She's not hurtin', that's for sure. :)

What does she think of the baby?: Everybody asks me this all the time. Let me tell you, we haven't made a big deal out of it. She knows mama is fat for a reason--there's a "baby in mommy's belly"--but that's about it. She also knows that the crib is now for the baby in mommy's belly and that hasn't been a big deal either. We're just playing it cool and we're just going to bring Calvin home and see what happens. I'm not into jealousy and pitting one sibling against another, and I am certainly not into creating an environment where my children feel like they have to vye for my attention. I think the less of a deal we make of things, the easier it will be on all of us.
I'm not pretending it's going to be easy, but I'd rather it be as easy as possible for Chloe and Calvin and a real (silent) pain for B and I.

Well, what about Calvin?: Oh lord, I have just decided neither of my children can be coerced into doing anything they don't want to do. I couldn't get Chloe to come out any sooner, so I don't know why I thought Calvin would be different. I am currently walking around at 3cm, 60%, and he's at -1. I have stopped gaining weight (impossible, I'm telling you) and starting retaining fluid in massive amounts in my left foot and right hand. I have tried walking, eating at a famous restaurant in Atlanta known for inducing labor, and we have had a huge massive full moon this week. But nothing, just like with Chloe. So I give up, and we'll just go for our induction next Saturday as planned. Until then, Calvin can continue to pick away at what's left of my pelvis bones and I will just ignore these very painful Braxton-Hicks contractions.

So that's all I've got: I've updated you about BOTH of my children (that is just crazy) and so now I'm going to go put up my fat feet and eat some Oreos, ha.

Love you all! ~BCCC


not so sure about swinging


well, ok Gigi, this isn't so bad


wheeeeeeeee!


hiya!


deep thoughts...


funnel cake face :)


our "little" family

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yay! I'm so glad you finally posted! I can't wait for Calvin to get here. I just which I lived closer to come and visit asap! Take care and call anytime! Love you!!

Grandma Kaye said...

Thank you again for keeping us all up to date. Love the little locks of hair Chloe has. You guys look great in yer family pic. Love you all and miss you alot. Love, GK
Only 2 more days til Calvin is here. Hope everything runs like a well oiled machine. no pun intended. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please call me with all the details on Sat. sometime.