I don't normally use my blog to vent, but Miss C is going on a 3.5 hour nap (whaaat???) and I have some down time and it's just been a hell of a week. Enjoy my catastrophes:
Have you ever had one of those weeks where everything breaks and everything just goes flat-out wrong? Ugh. We don't have them very often around here, but let me tell you...this past week was a doozy!
In the short span of about two days, the oven, dishwasher, AND air conditioner all broke. Kaput. DEAD.
I had no idea appliances died in 3's like celebrities.
The dishwasher had no business breaking--it's only 4 y/o. Something about the motherboard--I don't know, ask my husband. Then our 30 y/o oven, brand name "Caloric" (I'm not kidding) died. Well, it didn't really die, but if you wanted the gas to kick on, you had to poke this metal piece inside the oven with a wooden spoon. Yeah, that's real safe, huh? And finally the air conditioner began leaking so badly it was draining into the basement. Luckily, B and Big T were able to repair (rather quickly) the air conditioner, but the oven and dishwasher had to be replaced.
Now, normally, I would have been excited to purchase shiny, new kitchen appliances. But seeing how I'm pregnant again and have been perusing new strollers and gliders, Mama was not so happy to have to make these purchases. And you know B wasn't either.
But off to Home Depot we went, only to discover the appliances we wanted couldn't be delivered until the coming Wednesday. This was on a Thursday. Oy. So we ordered them and I washed dishes BY HAND (oh the horror!) for a week. Then my shiny new appliances showed up blissfully early at 8am this past Wednesday morning. The dishwasher, with all its stainless steel inside and out, was beautiful. But something wasn't quite right about that oven...
WHY WON'T THE DOOR OPEN ALL THE WAY???!!???
and
WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE IT'S BEEN SMASHED IN ON BOTH SIDES AT THE BOTTOM?!?
Ummm, wait Mr. Delivery Man.
Curses! Too late: they've already gone and my brand-new, not-so-shiny oven should have gone with them. So after a couple of very tense conversations with Home Depot and Maytag, we were told a repair man would have to come take a look at the poor thing. That didn't happen until today, Fiday. So this means going on a week and a half with no oven.
He takes one look at it and surmises what we've been trying to tell everybody for the last two days: somewhere between getting off the assembly line and being delivered to our kitchen, that thing was dropped. It was dropped so hard, in fact, that it totally warped the frame. Which is why the door won't open all the way.
The repair man calls it in, saying his "recommendation" is that it cannot be repaired. But instead of making total sense and sending us another one, Maytag/Whirlpool has to review "the findings" and "determine their course of action."
We should be hearing from them in 2-3 business days. Say what?
Oh, and by the way, today is Friday, and it doesn't count as Day 1. Then there is the weekend, and that doesn't count either. So the earliest we should hear anything about our BRAND NEW oven is Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. That will mean TWO WEEKS of not having an oven, and my kitchen looking super ghetto-fabulous.
Hell hath no fury like a pregnant woman with a hungy toddler who wants chicken fingers and tater tots.
B made the first call today to Whirlpool. I, admittedly, did not trust myself to speak to another "customer service representative."
But I think by Monday I should be good to go.
And in the midst of the death of all my appliances, we've also been painting bedrooms, switching rooms around, blowing in new insulation in the ceilings, and giving Daisy away to a very loving new family. *sigh* My heart hurts on that last one.
I think I'll just hide in a hole for the next few weeks. Let me know when it's safe to come out.
Hope your week's been better than ours! xoxox ~BCC
Friday, June 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
That sounds like a week in my life! Sorry that everything went wrong at once. It is never fun! I wouldn't want to be the rep on the other end when you call. Lol
Post a Comment