Our little princess is getting so big!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Watch Calvin Grow!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Quote

Hormones can make you crazy.
My hormones aren't making me blubber this time around, they are making me think. A lot.
It seems the more news I watch and read, the more alarmed I am at just what type of world my children are about to grow up in. I don't want to get too heavy, but I just know that things are so much different know then when I was a kid, and it scares me to think of what Chloe and Calvin are coming into.
Sure, I know there will be broken hearts, maybe even broken bones, and there will be disappointments and hard times. That's life; I get that.
But what's hard for me is all the violence, all the meanness out in the world right now. I don't know if people are angry because they are stressed about their jobs and money, or if (like I've heard so many times before) that the media highlights the negativity that has always been there, but previously we just didn't have a forum for it.
I have always looked at every child as a chance to reset the world. I think that's one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher: you have the opportunity to cultivate that hope, to raise it up into something good that will benefit the world. I just hope that I can teach my own children to stay positive, to always look for the good in others, and to know that you are not here to always just satisfy your own needs--you have a responsibility to consider the feelings and needs of other people.

I found this quote on a friend's Facebook page, and it spurred my thoughts above. This is exactly what I want to teach Chloe and Calvin:

Be soft.
Do not let the world make you hard.
Do not let the pain make you hate.
Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.
Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree,
you still believe it to be a beautiful place.



Amen.

~C

1 comment:

McCryssy said...

Great quote. I completely understand where you're coming from here. I just hope when the kids are all grown up and in the real world, they remember the lessons we teach them and continue to uphold the values we're instilling.